Topics

Yosemite Valley Railroad steam crane 08...

Jack Burgess

As I recall, we decided some time ago that maintenance of way equipment could be shared on this chat list.

A number of years ago I began collecting information on this crane and drew detailed plans for it a couple of years ago. I finally started building the model about 6 months ago and finished it today. Attached are three photos of the final model. The frame and basic body were fabricated from .015” sheet brass while the roof, boom, interior details, and a half-dozen other parts were 3D printed. The project was frustrating at times but was a very challenging and enjoyable project.

Jack Burgess

Thomas Evans

Beautiful work, Jack
Thanks for the photos
Tom

Paul Doggett

Beautiful work as always

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 30 Jan 2020, at 03:51, Thomas Evans via Groups.Io <tomkevans@...> wrote:

Beautiful work, Jack
Thanks for the photos
Tom

gtws00

That is a impressive looking crane.
Thanks for sharing your work
George Toman

Lester Breuer

Wow!  Excellent, excellent model.  Kudos.
Lester Breuer

Jim Betz

Jack,
  Great work - as always.
  Did that panel that forms the left wall fold/slide back during operation?
If not - how did the operator see well enough to be able to swing the
boom to the left?
                                                                                 - Jim

George Corral

Very, very nice!

Michael Gross

Superb!!!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Eric Hansmann

What a delight to review photos of an exemplary model with my morning coffee. Thank you for sharing your work, Jack!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

As I recall, we decided some time ago that maintenance of way equipment could be shared on this chat list.

A number of years ago I began collecting information on this crane and drew detailed plans for it a couple of years ago. I finally started building the model about 6 months ago and finished it today. Attached are three photos of the final model. The frame and basic body were fabricated from .015” sheet brass while the roof, boom, interior details, and a half-dozen other parts were 3D printed. The project was frustrating at times but was a very challenging and enjoyable project.

Jack Burgess

James E Kubanick

Jack,

That is one beautiful model - Well worth the frustrations you encountered. Thank you for sharing.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 10:32:18 AM EST, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

What a delight to review photos of an exemplary model with my morning coffee. Thank you for sharing your work, Jack!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

As I recall, we decided some time ago that maintenance of way equipment could be shared on this chat list.

A number of years ago I began collecting information on this crane and drew detailed plans for it a couple of years ago. I finally started building the model about 6 months ago and finished it today. Attached are three photos of the final model. The frame and basic body were fabricated from .015” sheet brass while the roof, boom, interior details, and a half-dozen other parts were 3D printed. The project was frustrating at times but was a very challenging and enjoyable project.

Jack Burgess

O Fenton Wells

Excellent modeling Jack, impressive
Fenton

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:02 PM Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

As I recall, we decided some time ago that maintenance of way equipment could be shared on this chat list.

A number of years ago I began collecting information on this crane and drew detailed plans for it a couple of years ago. I finally started building the model about 6 months ago and finished it today. Attached are three photos of the final model. The frame and basic body were fabricated from .015” sheet brass while the roof, boom, interior details, and a half-dozen other parts were 3D printed. The project was frustrating at times but was a very challenging and enjoyable project.

Jack Burgess

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

qmp211

Wunnerful, wunnerful, wunnerful!

To see the video details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOr0CRinzM

Great work Jack.

Randy Danniel

Jack Burgess

No, that panel did not slide back. I think that it was there (possibly) to get access to the steam boiler for repairs, etc. In photos, it looks like it slipped into a slot on the top and was secured with the bolts at the bottom.

As for swinging the boom, his seat was only 3’ for so from the open front of the crane. So he would have probably have enough of a view to know that the area to the left of the boom was clear of obstacles. He might also have a foreman on the ground giving him hand signals.

Jack

  Did that panel that forms the left wall fold/slide back during operation?
If not - how did the operator see well enough to be able to swing the
boom to the left?
                                                                                 - Jim

Jack Burgess

I was going to mention that video. Toward the end I talk about the model building for the crane to that point. I will be doing the next YouTube video this Saturday and will have more shots of the model and talk about some painting, etc. It will be released February 22nd.

Jack Burgess